Defining Blackness through Music

Sunday, February 1, 2009

It's finally the best time of year:Black History Month time!!!!

And maybe no one is more excited than myself. Yes we have our black president, but this does not erase injustices our people have overcome and stereotypes we have to disprove each day just to get a fair shot at a decent life in this country.

That being said, I believe our music plays a vital role in defining who we are as a people. How so? It shows off our natural creative genius, at the same time being unafraid to display our passion for being exactly who we are. While I think it quite unfortunate that the majority of popular modern black music betrays us as oversexed, materialistic, alcoholics, I do believe it can once again be our saving grace.

I've challenged myself and member of my website TheCornerAtSIUC to post songs that best define the various aspects of blackness.
My first pick is "Black Gold of the Sun" by Rortary Connection

Comments

No response to “Defining Blackness through Music”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

 
Righteous Black Chic. Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger